On the other hand, some people say that there were such things as ninja swords called ninjato which even possessed the following characteristics:
1) It had a blade length of about 24 inches; it was shorter than the long sword (katana) that a samurai warrior always brought with him.
Modern Real Ninja Swords
According to the founder of Bujikan Federation (an international organization best known for their association with ninja martial arts, ninjutsu), a way to identify a more authentic replica of a Ninja sword is to recognize the ninja sword’s similarity with a typical Japanese Katana. The major difference is that the ninja sword is shorter. On that note, here are the qualities of a functional ninja sword:
• Blade form
• Carbon steel blade
• Differentially tempered blade
An effect of this process is a line pattern (hamon) on the sword blade.
• Well sharpened blade
• Full tang ninja sword
2) Balance and Weight of a Genuine Ninja Sword
Weight and balance is essential in a battle ready ninja sword. A ninja sword could weigh 2.5 to 5 lbs so that it will be easy to handle and carry. Heavier swords can affect your movement and will slow you down when you make an attack or swing.
3) Polish and Furnish of Real Ninja Swords
Ninja sword blades are well furnished and polished. The square hand guard (tsuba) would come in different artistic designs. The sword has an oversized handle (tsuka) to accommodate two hands, and like the handle of a Samurai katana, the handle is creatively wrapped with cloth (silk or cotton) and is adorned with small statues. Most importantly, all the parts are stable – wrappings are tightly covering the grip, collars are snugly installed on the blade, and the sword could fit just right in the scabbard.
Additional tips in buying an authentic ninja sword:
1) Purchase items from a reliable dealer to protect your self from buying a fake ninja sword.
2) Consider buying a sword of reputable brand. Examples of high-end and best swords are Hanwei ninja sword and United Cutlery Ninja sword. They can be expensive products at $100 to $300 (or more) but you are sure of their quality. You could not really expect a cheap ninja sword to be a good piece. Stainless ninja sword replicas are worth $10 to $60.
Ninja swords related articles:
Practice Ninja swords – Learn what are the training swords and other weapons used in practicing the martial art, tactics, and strategies of unconventional warfare - ninjutsu. Learn the basics of the ninjutsu arts and the 18 skills a ninja must learn and master.
Ninja sword set – A collector’s guide to the best ninja swords set. Learn about collectors’ items, online shops, price ranges, and the best brands and styles of ninja sword collections. Some of them may be battle ready ninja swords, some of them are great for display.